Follicular Unit Extraction ( FUE)
Truth about Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
How does Dr. Arambulo perform FUE? Click to watch her FUE speed and efficiency
Devices available to harvest the follicular units. What is Dr. Arambulo’s choice?
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) , the latest technique in hair restoration surgery , is performed using small punches to HARVEST individual follicular units from the scalp back donor region. There are many devices available , including the most expensive advertised Robotics , to perform FUE HARVEST. Dr. Arambulo, our Physician Hair Restoration Specialist, choice of instrument is the POWERED SAFE SCRIBE and she uses 0.8 – 0.9mm blunt punch . She acquired the knowledge in Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), the State of the Art Methodology and Instrumentation under Dr. James Harris in Denver, Colorado. Dr. Harris is the innovator and patented the Powered SAFE Scribe. To be able to perform FUE procedure , physician needs training, knowledge and higher skills with the use of the choice of FUE device to harvest healthy and intact follicular hair grafts.
Intact Follicular FUE grafts
The video of actual well performed FUE procedure by Dr. Arambulo above, proves her talent ,with remarkable skills and speed using her choice of motorized device with production of intact healthy grafts. Every physician who claims performing FUE , must prove his skills with his choice of machine , to avoid misleading the patients. Follicular grafts once damaged cannot grow anymore. In addition, the motorized device in Dr. Arambulo’s experience , allows harvest of grafts from other hairy areas such as the beard, chest, abdomen, thighs and legs ( Body Hair Transplant ).
In addition every FUE physician hair restoration specialist, must have BACKUP FUE DEVICES . Dr. Arambulo keeps four other motorized devices as backups and a simple disposable 1mm punch to perform MANUAL FUE. These back up devices are important to proceed with FUE procedure without disruption since individual scalp characteristics are different and FUE device may just stop to operate for unexpected reason.
Are there other punches use in FUE procedure?
- Though Dr. Arambulo uses the dull punch in majority of FUE procedures, she is also understands and is proficient with the use of sharp, trumpet, serrated punches use. This is important to know because different punches may work differently on different scalp characteristics.
What is scalp preparation in FUE?
Below scalp preparations for FUE is according to number of grafts plan and must be agreeable to all patients for faster and smooth procedure.
What is Non – Shaven FUE?
In 2008, FUE harvesting was introduced to South Korea in earnest. Many patients with hair loss, who were reluctant to do FUT hair transplant surgery because of fear for donor wound scar and post-operative pain, welcomed this less invasive procedure. But they also do not like the need to shave their heads for FUE surgery. Non-shaven FUE (NSFUE) is an innovative technique to overcome this demerit of FUE procedure. NSFUE helps more patients to choose the FUE by reducing concern about their appearance after surgery.( Michael Kyu-ho Lee, MD Seoul, South Korea)
How do we photodocument the grafts harvested by FUE ?
What is the truth about donor area scarring from FUE procedure.
FUE technique offers patients the option of no stitches, less down-time, more tolerable post-operative pain, and less visible scarring. Scarring due to FUE as compared to a standard strip excision for the same number of grafts is certainly not less. However, the diffuse nature of the punctate scars from FUE may confer a decrease in detectability especially in patients who either shave their head or wear their hair short.
What is body hair transplant?
FUE also makes possible harvesting of follicular units with finer hairs from slightly lower areas on the neck or above the ears for use in the hairline or eyebrows and most importantly being able to perform body hair transplant for additional volume. This procedure further demands a higher degree of skill and coordination on the part of the surgeons and staff
Is FUE successful?
Watch above patients’ testimonial , 4.5 months after first session of FUE procedure. ( https://youtu.be/-FZCVxaSR84 ) One year after, a second session is done by Non Shaven FUE technique
What are the indications of FUE procedure in Dr.Arambulo’s experience using the motorized device?
- Patients who want to wear their hair very short
- Patients who want to wear their hair very short
- Patients who do not want a linear scar on the back
- Combines with strip procedure to harvest more grafts
- Patients who tend to heal with thickened and wide linear scars despite good surgery
- Patients discouraged to undergo another strip because of unacceptable ugly scarring from previous strip poor surgery
- Patients with old scars from scalp infection , accident or surgery trauma and do not want further scar formation
- Patients who require small session i.e eyebrow retouch , small scars ..
- Patients with tight scalp
- Patients who need to resume high level of activity soon after the procedure.
- Patients who have significant dislike to after surgery pain
- Patients with extremely thick hair shafts and who require finer hairs from the supra-auricular or low neck regions to place on frontal hairline or eyebrows for more aesthetic result .
- Body hair transplant
- Patients requiring body hair transplant with limited or depleted donor supply
- Permanent hair removal of blond excessive hair unresponsive to laser surgery